Convertcast – Episode 108
Sunday March 4, 2012
- Networking at 10,000 Feet: Airlines Are Making the Skies ‘Social’ http://techland.time.com/2012/02/28/networking-from-10000-feet-airlines-are-making-the-skies-social/ Dumbest idea ever!
- Samsung Chaton – cross platform SMS replacement. How does it differ from the competition?
- (Edward) Mobile World Congress ended : mainly show about android but many visitors and journalists were just using iPad for writing and iPhone for calling – isn’t it funny?
- AT&T updated its data use policy, capping so-called unlimited plans at 3GB.
- (Edward) Nokia 808 PureView announced – Symbian not windows phone = windows phone 7.5 sucks, 8 maybe baby, it has 41 pixels nominal but can make only 5 megapixel photos? What the not-duck ?
- Lytro camera
- Big announcement coming Wednesday – no rumors. We’’l talk about facts next week!
- $170 to unlock your iPhone – http://bit.ly/hYzXVy – is it worth it if it is the real (legal) deal? (Edward: of course neither legal nor official)
- Apple bans an e-book…have they gone too far? http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/with_e-book_ban_apples_closed_nature_goes_too_far.php
- Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 hands-on (video) http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/28/samsung-galaxy-mini-2-hands-on-video/ Centro-size, as opposed to the Galaxy Note. Is Samsung just trying to cover all the bases, or is it about cost?
- Meet the Asus PadFone, the Phone That’s a Tablet That’s a Notebook http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/02/meet-the-asus-padfone-the-phone-thats-a-tablet-thats-a-notebook/ This is a truly interesting looking gadget!
- (Edward) live editing of docs with google docs for android app. Cool.
- Diana now has the Samsung Galaxy S II
- (Edward) google plans to release Google Assistant = competitor to Siri + API for apps to have voice control:
- Sony to launch an Android accessory: The SmartWatch, which kicks the iPod Nano to pieces by comparison. Available later this year. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/sony-smartwatch-the-watch-the-ipod-nano-wishes-it-was/12418
- (Edward) Windows 8 CONSUMER preview for the 1st time released (previously: only developer previou) but Edward was too busy with life (as opposed to TV watching) to install it yet
- (Edward) skype for windows phone released, Edward reviewed it at J.A.G.S. and gives impressions, HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM: skype for windows phone ALSO IN FINAL VERSION will not support receiving background calls – scandal!!! … as it works in iOS and Android…
- (Edward) how many people with Windows Phone Alli knows? 3! Me, her friend with newly purchased Windows Phone and Joel Ivory Johnson!
- (Edward) on his “podcast about everything”, in latest episode, Edward was chatting with Windows Phone dev MVP – Joel :
http://dreamyrobot.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/podcast-3-windows-phone-space-exploration-genetic-testing-23andme/ – about Windows Phone. Funny part of that chat: Windows Phone doesn’t have enterprise-class encryption so many enterprises (including Joel’s) cannot use Windows Phone with Microsoft Exchange but do it with iPhone cellphones! Stupid stupid Microsoft mobile division in action again…
- (Edward) stil evil, example: people are product for Google not users, product that it sells to advertisers
- (Edward) funny: Apple sent invitations to ipad 3 event EXACTLY at the moment when Eric the weasel Schmidt, ceo of gloogle, was giving keynote speach during MWC in Barcelona
- Diana – MiniInfo, a widget with lots of information about your phone (Battery, Internal Disk space. SD Card Space, RAM Usage, CPU percent) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dynotes.miniinfo&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5keW5vdGVzLm1pbmlpbmZvIl0.
- (Edward) for windows phone: WMpoweruser oficial app now V2 with push notificaitons etc
- USAA app – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usaa-mobile/id312325565?mt=8 and Grocery IQ – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grocery-iq/id290591617?mt=8